Until not long ago, Internet access was considered a luxury that only a few could enjoy. But today, thanks to new technologies, it is easier and faster to reach more people. Technologies such as 5G make it possible to bring high-speed Internet to a larger population regardless of their location or socioeconomic status. Here we will talk about how 5G can help us build a better future and an inclusive society.
The importance of 5G in the world
5G is the fifth generation of mobile communication technology. With a speed, 100 times faster than 4G, more and more companies and countries are adopting this technology. Currently, 5G is present in 30% of the countries in the world. At the head of the countries with the most 5G networks are China, the United States, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and Spain.
These increased connectivity speeds and bandwidth are transforming industries and our daily experiences. In addition, with 5G it is expected to create connections everywhere, reliably and instantly. This is with the idea of measuring, understanding, and managing things in real-time. And, in this way, build an inclusive, intelligent, and safe society.
5G as a tool to build an inclusive society
Through increased digitization and innovations such as 5G, it is hoped that digital inclusion will be facilitated. This is to ensure that individuals, households, and organizations benefit from digital technologies (Internet Governance Forum, 2020). For that, ICT solutions based on 5G must be easy to use, comfortable, and affordable, which:
- It will greatly reduce global inequality and the digital divide.
- It will promote the rapid achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, thus achieving an inclusive and fair society.
In this sense, 5G technology can support the fight against inequalities. This support is concentrated in four key areas:
- Healthcare: Using digital technology to give more people easy access to better healthcare resources.
- Education: use technology to enrich educational resources and provide equal educational opportunities; especially, supporting distance education in remote regions and disabled people.
- Development: eliminate development gaps for sectors, companies, regions, and groups; as well as guarantee equal access to digital resources.
- Environment: use innovative technologies to protect and conserve ecosystems more efficiently and thus obtain a green future.
Application case of 5G in the health sector
As we already mentioned, one of the sectors that can be seen to benefit the most from 5G technology is health. Through tools such as wearables, it is possible to track people’s blood pressure and heart rate. Other possibilities are video consultations with the doctor and faster data transfers to speed up diagnoses. But how can this help create an inclusive society?
Thanks to the high speed and better connectivity offered by 5G, people can count on benefits such as):
- More accessible health care for those who cannot easily go to the doctor. For example, for people living in remote areas, the disabled, the elderly, etc.
- More affordable healthcare for those on a tight budget, as unnecessary consultations are avoided.
Challenges of 5G technology for an inclusive society
5G technology has great advantages to build an inclusive society; however, its implementation brings challenges that must be overcome. One of them is that it must be affordable for consumers. This is despite the huge investments in telecommunications and implementation costs. Another is the fact that 5G operating in a high-frequency band reduces its ability to:
- Go through buildings, rain, or other obstacles.
- Travel an adequate distance, even in spaces without obstacles.
Solving these coverage issues is critical to expanding broadband access and enabling users to seamlessly take advantage of 5G and other next-generation applications. 5G technology is the future of mobile connections, and little by little it will be integrated into our daily lives. Therefore, it is important that we take advantage of its benefits to create an inclusive and fair society for everyone. The future is built from today!